a little history.. (extract from ‘Heart of Northern Wales’)
On the east side of the Dulas Valley, about 1½ miles south of Llanddulas, is an old house known as Plas Newydd, belonging to Coed Coch; near it is a large barn, and on a stone over the doorway is the inscription –
THE 7 . . . 1668
Plas Newydd has walled paddocks and a very large orchard.
The Vaughan family lived there till about 1791. The first entry of that family in the Llysfaen Registers is “John Vaughan of Plas Newydd, 1666.”
William Vaughan (died March 17th, 1700) is described as ofPlas Newydd, and had by his wife Catherine 5 sons and 2 daughters, namely: John (b. March 26th, 1681); Anne (b. Sept. 29th, 1682); Thomas (b. June 17th, 1690); Thomas (buried Nov. 16th, 1691); and William (b. Feb. 15th, 1694).
Another branch was Robert; possibly he was a brother of William; he had 6 children, John, Anne, Margaret, Evan, William, and Robert (between 1694 and 1704). The father, Robert, and the son of the same name, are both designated “Smith”. There are several other references to the Vaughan family. In 1716, there is a lengthy account of a dispute of the churchwardens of Llysfaen with John Vaughan as to the payment of a church levy. It was carried to the Consistory Court of St. Asaph, and eventually John Vaughan agreed to pay the church levy in future, and also arrears for the last 6 years.
This dispute seems to have arisen in the first instance from the fact that the Plas Newydd tenements were partly in the parish of Llysfaen, Caernarvonshire, and partly in the parish of Bettws in Denbighshire, at that time there being a strip of Caernarvonshire inside the County of Denbigh; this seems further indicated by the place-name, Llindir.